Did the Doctoral Consortium pique your interest but did not match your stage in your academic career? Consider applying to the Early Career Workshop at the International Conference for Quantitative Ethnography! The call for participation is out now.
The Early Career Workshop is designed to foster a community of early career researchers doing work related to quantitative ethnography. Participants will meet and discuss their research with peers and mentors from the field of Quantitative Ethnography.
Interested? Check out the ICQE schedule and the call for participation below for more information about this chance to present and get feedback on your research and to learn more about new research and developments in Quantitative Ethnography!
Early Career Workshop (ECW)
Karin Frey, University of Washington, USA
David Williamson Shaffer, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA
The purpose of the ICQE Early Career Workshop is to provide a high quality learning and networking opportunity for early career researchers doing work related to quantitative ethnography. Within the workshop, participants will share their research with their peers and an international panel of faculty serving as mentors. Participants will engage in collaborative inquiry and scholarly discourse to improve their research and to build a career as a scholar using quantitative ethnography to advance their understanding of the field. The Early Career Workshop is open to scholars within 5 years of completing their PhD. Early Career Scholars will be chosen through a competitive application process for participation.
Objectives and Design
The workshop aims at supporting participants in:
- Defining innovative and productive programs of research that lead toward an impactful record of inquiry;
- Focusing learning on high-yield professional activities such as grant-writing, peer editing, and building a publishing trajectory;
- Supporting strong data analysis skills and evidence-based arguments in their research projects;
- Addressing issues of using cutting-edge methods in scholarship; and
- Expanding the professional networks of workshop participants through interactions with other early career scholars, mentors, and journal editors
The ECW is open to scholars within 5 years since completing their PhD at the time of application submission. Scholars with prior involvement in quantitative ethnographic research are encouraged to apply, but all applications will be considered. Participation is open to early career researchers in universities, non-profit organizations, museums, and other learning-oriented organizations.
How to Apply
Each proposal should contain the following within one document in the following order, and be submitted through the ICQE 2019 Conference System.
- A cover sheet with your name, title of your main research project, your institution, your personal webpage, your e-mail address, and your mailing address.
- A 1-page personal statement that includes: (a) your research and/or specialization; (b) current status of your career; (c) your career objectives; (d) why you want to participate in the early career workshop; (e) what specific issues or challenges with your research and career you would like to explore further in the workshop (You do not necessarily need these as headings, as long as the issues are addressed).
- A 2-page summary of your research including tables, figures and references using the ICQE submissions template (Please follow the template for a 2-page poster submission). The summary should include the following: (a) Abstract; (b) Goals of the research; (c) Background of the project; (d) Methodology; (e) Preliminary or expected findings; (f) expected contributions. Submissions should be written in English. If accepted, you will be asked to revise your submission upon feedback from the reviewers before it is published in the conference proceedings.
- Your current CV.
Please all questions to email@example.com.
Submissions due 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8), 10 May 2019.
Important Dates for the Early Career Workshop
May 10, 2019 – Submissions due (application through the ICQE 2019 Conference System and letter of recommendation from your advisor to firstname.lastname@example.org)
June 16, 2019 – Notification of acceptance
September 27, 2019 – Submission of the final 2-page summary for publication in conference proceedings
October 19, 2019 – ECW Kickoff from 4 to 6pm
October 22, 2019 – ECW from 12 to 3pm